This course will discuss recent developments in infection control and their practical implementation in the dental practice. ADAQ recommends Members regularly attend CPD sessions for infection control to ensure they remain up-to-date and compliant with new guidelines.
The lecture-based component of this course will be followed by a one-hour practical demonstration with the ADAQ Education & Practice Advisory Services team. The course will cover:
- Latest on developments in key national documents including the Australian Standards, NHMRC guidelines, CDNA guidelines, Immunize Australia guidelines, and the ACSQHC National Health Safety Standards
- Chain of infection and the risk of transmission
- How to best use the 2015 ADA Guidelines and associated resources (the Self-Assessment Tool and the Infection Control Practical Guide)
- Infection Control Management Plan: Queensland requirements
- Hand hygiene: for the greatest effectiveness and efficiency
- Transmission-based precautions: the when and how
- Water quality for dental practice: what is needed where.
- Update practice documentation in response to changes in guidelines
- Identify areas of risk for compliance purposes
- Evaluate risks to create transmission-based precautions
- Implement an effective and efficient hand hygiene regime in practice
- Create an infection control protocol that meets the requirements of the Qld Infection Control Management Plan
- Implement processes that encourage the continuous improvement and application of everyday infection control measures
Emeritus Professor Laurence Walsh AO
BDSc, PhD, DDSc, GCEd, FRACDS, FFOP(RCPA), FIADFE, FICD, FADI, FPFA
Professor Laurence Walsh AO is a specialist in special needs dentistry who is based at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, where he is an emeritus professor, having retired from UQ in 2020. Laurie has been teaching infection control and clinical microbiology for over 25 years at postgraduate level and was chief examiner in microbiology for the RACDS from 1999-2020.
Laurie has been a member of the ADA Infection Control Committee since 1998, and has been re-appointed as its chair for 2021, having previously served as chair from 2009-2014. He has contributed to various protocols, guidelines and checklists and manuals used in Australia.
He has presented invited courses and lectures on infection control across Australia and internationally. Laurie has written over 60 articles on infection control and in addition published over 200 journal papers on clinical microbiology. He currently serves on three committees of Standards Australia (personal protective equipment; and instrument reprocessing) and in recent years has been an adviser to the Communicable Diseases Network of Australia and the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care.
Ms Davina Barker
Davina has spent 18 years at Queensland Health, with the last 6 years in management being responsible for infection control policies and procedures, compliance within sterilising processes and continuous quality improvement practices for audit purposes.
In her current role, she is providing advice and assistance with infection control policies and procedures within private practice, developing practice documentation, supporting practice compliance issues and infection control staff training.
ADA Member - $330
ADAQ Member Practice Staff - $330
1st and 2nd Year Graduate ADA Member - $300
Non-Member - $429
Non-Member Practice Staff - $429
Practice Staff Registration
If you are wanting to register multiple people from your practice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Delegates first name
- Delegates surname
- Email address
- Any dietary/access requirements
Please note, we require a unique email address for each delegate. Once an account has been created, they will have access to their online portal.
5 Scientific hours
COVID-19 SAFE PLAN
ADAQ has implemented a safe plan to ensure all events, including venue hire, comply with the Government's COVID-19 restrictions. Please click here to view the plan.
By registering for this course, you agree to the events terms and conditions outlined on the ADAQ website.