Join Emeritus Professor Laurie Walsh to learn how to maximise clinical effectiveness, as well as safety, throughout the tooth whitening process. This course is designed to meet the requirements of the Dental Board of Australia policies regarding in-office whitening undertaken by dental practitioners.
Prof. Walsh will cover the selection process and methods of the tooth whitening. A theoretical examination will be conducted prior to the hands-on component. Participants will have the opportunity to practice techniques for isolation and tissue protection, and the application of materials.
Please see below for a detailed course breakdown:
- Regulation of whitening products and practices in Australia
- Case selection and contra-indications
- Whitening versus lightening
- Patient work-up and consent
- Shade assessment
- Causes of discolouration
- Chemistry of bleaching systems
- Choice of systems; chemical versus light activation
- Advanced oxidation processes for bleaching
- Maximising effectiveness of individual systems
- Safety considerations for hard tissues and the dental pulp
- Soft tissue isolation; material application
- Intra-operative complications and their prevention and management
- Post-operative advice; shade relapse and its prevention
- Maintenance products for at home use
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Correctly identify staining patterns and factors responsible for discolouration
- Develop a thorough patient assessment scheme, considering the limitations and options for whitening procedures
- Recognise cases that require more complex bleaching treatments
- Appreciate how lightening methods can enhance results
- Select methods for maximum effectiveness
- Recognise side effects and prevent them occurring (including minimising sensitivity)
- Recommend appropriate home care strategies for dealing with extrinsic stains
Emeritus Professor Laurence Walsh AO
BDSc, PhD, DDSc, GCEd, FRACDS, FFOP(RCPA), FIADFE, FICD, FADI, FPFA
Laurence Walsh was Professor of Dental Science at UQ from 2000-2020. He now contributes to UQ as an emeritus professor to research in advanced technologies and materials. Laurie is the current president of the Australian Association for Laser Dentistry. He is also the lead adviser to ADA Inc on dental bleaching. He has undertaken clinical and laboratory trials for a wide range of lasers and bleaching systems, and he has published extensively on these topics in the national and international literature.
Laurence has over 30 years clinical experience with conventional and laser-based systems for treating more difficult cases including tetracycline staining using lasers. He has presented over 200 hands-on courses on lasers and on tooth bleaching systems and technologies across the Asia-Pacific region and in North America.
ADA Member - $770
1st & 2nd Year Graduate ADA Member - $660
ADAQ Member Clinical Staff* - $770
Non-Member - $1000
Non-Member Clinical Staff* - $1000
*Clinical staff include Oral Health Therapists, Dental Therapists and Hygienists.
6 Scientific hours
This event is proudly supported by
COVID-19 SAFE PLAN
ADAQ has implemented a safe plan to ensure all events, including venue hire, comply with the Government's COVID-19 restrictions. Please click here to view the plan.
By registering for this course, you agree to the events terms and conditions outlined on the ADAQ website.