EVENT overview and Learning objectives
The course aims to provide the participants with a deep understanding of the Temporomandibular Disorders (TMDs) and the confidence to diagnose/manage TMDs as part of their everyday clinical practice.
Lecture 1: Anatomy and Physiology of the TMJ
- At the completion of this lecture, participants will have a good understanding on the applied anatomy on the orofacial osseous, ligamentous and neuromuscular systems as they relate to the TMJ
Lecture 2: Radiology of the TMJ
- Review the imaging anatomy of the temporomandibular joint
Lecture 3: Clinical Examination of the TMJ
- Be familiar with physical and clinical examination of patients and TM disorders
- Be able to diagnose and manage myofascial pain
- At the completion of this lecture, participants will be able to confidently perform a basic evaluation of the TMJ and related orofacial musculature
Lecture 4: Overview of TMJ disorders
- At the completion of this lecture, participants will have an understanding of the aetiology and nature of TMJ neuromuscular disorders
Lecture 5: Review of the Radiographic Changes Associated with Abnormalities of the Temporomandibular Joint
- Review of the radiographic changes associated with abnormalities of the temporomandibular joint
Lecture 6: Management of myofascial pain
- Knowledge of the different treatment options available and a protocol for the management of myofascial pain
Lecture 7: The Conservative Management of TMD including the Use of Splints
- Learn about the conservative management of the TMDs including the use of splints – occlusal stabilisation splint (Dr Meer); mandibular repositioning splint (Dr Bakr)
- At the end of this lecture, participants will be able to select and adjust appropriate oral appliances for the management of TMD and sleep apnoea.
Dr Mahmoud Bakr
Dr. Bakr is the Director of Clinical Education (Dentistry) and a Senior Lecturer in General Dental Practice at the School of Dentistry and Oral health – Griffith University. He received his Bachelor Degree in Dental Medicine and Surgery from Cairo University in 2004 and completed his Master Degree in 2010. In 2012, Dr. Bakr was appointed as a full-time Lecturer in General Dental Practice with a special interest in teaching Oral Biology and Head and Neck Anatomy. In 2014, Dr. Bakr completed a Graduate Certificate in Higher Education and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in 2019. Currently, Dr. Bakr is an accredited examiner for the Australian Dental Council Examination for overseas training dentists. Besides his teaching commitments, Mahmoud remains to be a clinician and undergoes private dental practice within Griffith University Dental Clinics. He has also published over 45 peer reviewed journal articles in different fields including the effect of Botulinum Toxin on different oral tissues.
Dr Mohammed Meer
Dr. Meer has been involved in clinical teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students in four of the five dental schools in South Africa. He was in private practice at Vincent Pallotti Hospital in Pinelands, Cape Town, and was a consultant at the Department of Maxillo-Facial and Oral Surgery of the University of the Western Cape before immigrating to Australia in 2007. In 2012, Mohammed completed a Graduate Certificate in Higher Education. Dr. Meer is registered with AHPRA as a Specialist Oral Surgeon and has a special interest in facial trauma, penetrating knife wound injuries; gunshot wounds, implantology, extra-oral (ear and finger) implants, therapeutic application of injectables in dental practice.
ADA Member and/or Griffith Alumni - $1000
Non-ADA Members and/or Non-Alumni - $1200
ADA Member 1st and 2nd Year Graduate and/or Griffith University 1st and 2nd Year Graduate - $800
10 Scientific hours
This event is brought to you in collaboration with Griffith University
Credit or Debit Card accepted through secure GriffithPAY.
By registering for this course, you agree to the event terms and conditions outlined on the ADAQ website.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Morning Tea, lunch and refreshments provided.
Please advise if you have any dietary requirements at the time of booking.