This course is designed for clinicians who want to enhance their clinical practice in the area of in-office whitening (dental bleaching).
This course covers:
- Different types of dental bleaching technologies including at-home tray bleaching and the use of consumer products.
- Regulation of whitening products and practices in Australia
- Case selection and contra-indications
- Whitening versus lightening
- Patient work-up and consent
- Shade assessment
- Causes of discolouration
- Chemistry of bleaching systems
- Choice of systems; chemical versus light activation
- Advanced oxidation processes for bleaching
- Maximizing effectiveness of individual systems
- Safety considerations for hard tissues and the dental pulp
- Soft tissue isolation; material application
- Intra-operative complications and their prevention and management
- Post-operative advice; shade relapse and its prevention
- Maintenance products for at home use
On completion of this course, candidates undertake a written examination (10 questions) which is marked by Professor Walsh. Candidates can refer to the PDF course notes when preparing the examination answers.
All materials issued by ADAQ CPD are subject to copyright and are for the use of the registered candidate only.
Emeritus Professor Laurence Walsh AO
BDSc, PhD, DDSc, GCEd, FRACDS, FFOP(RCPA), FIADFE, FICD, FADI, FPFA
Laurence Walsh was Professor of Dental Science at UQ from 2000-2020. He now contributes to UQ as an emeritus professor to research in advanced technologies and materials. Laurie is the current president of the Australian Association for Laser Dentistry. He is also the lead adviser to ADA Inc on dental bleaching. He has undertaken clinical and laboratory trials for a wide range of lasers and bleaching systems, and he has published extensively on these topics in the national and international literature. Laurence has over 30 years clinical experience with conventional and laser-based systems for treating more difficult cases including tetracycline staining using lasers. He has presented over 200 hands-on courses on lasers and on tooth bleaching systems and technologies across the Asia-Pacific region and in North America.
Q: How long do I have to complete this course?
A: We recommend completing the course within 6 months as our content is continuously being updated, however the course can be completed at your own pace and it is available to access 24/7.
What is an on-demand course?
ADAQ on-demand courses are made up of videos and presentations that you can watch at your own pace - anytime, anywhere.