Most dentists will use ADA item numbers every working day of their lives, but if you use them incorrectly, you may find yourself in hot water. Under the guidance of Martin and Larissa, learn how to avoid becoming the subject of a health fund or Medicare audit and how to comply with the DBA’s requirements for clinical records.
Martin has a vast experience in this area, having worked on the ADA Inc Schedule and having conducted dental practice audits for AHPRA. In this course Martin will draw on case studies, presenting participants with a particularly tricky clinical case they may experience in general dental practice! Participants are encouraged to bring their own item number questions for Martin to answer in an open forum discussion.
Topics that will be covered are:
- Australian Schedule of Dental Services and Glossary
- CDBS item numbers
- The health fund’s view
- What triggers a health fund audit and how to respond to it?
- Case studies of health fund investigations where clinical records have been major factors
- Commonly investigated item numbers
- The most misused item numbers and why
- What happens if a health fund considers a claim is fraudulent?
- AHPRA’s view about fraudulent claims
- DBA record keeping requirements
- An update on the 13th edition of The Australian Schedule of Dental Services and Glossary due for release this year
- An update on the provision of provider numbers for OHTs, dental hygienists and dental therapists coming into effect from 1 July 2022
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Use the Australian Schedule of Dental Services and Glossary efficiently
- Use CDBS item numbers correctly
- Respond to a health fund audit
- Respond to an accusation of fraudulent claim
- Create a record keeping system that aligns with the DBA’s requirements
Dr Martin Webb
BDSc (HONS) Qld 1990 FICD FPFA FADI MAICD
Dr Martin Webb is a dentist in private practice at Maleny, on the hinterland of the Sunshine Coast. He has held various positions within the Dental profession namely ADA Federal Vice President”, ADAQ State President 2007, member of ADAQ Executive 2001-2008 then 2014-2020.
Dr Webb has served on the ADA Inc Schedule & Third Party Committee since 2008. Within that Committee he has acted as the state “expert opinion” on the interpretation of the ADA Schedule by dentists, their staff and PHI’s. Dr Webb has liaised with Dentists having difficulties with Medicare and DVA, including assisting them with audits. He also acts as the ADAQ PHI liaison officer to assist members with PHI complaints and investigations. In 2014 Dr Webb became an approved AHPRA and OHO Auditor. He is a Fellow of the International College of Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry International and the Pierre Fauchard Academy. In 2016, Martin was awarded a Distinguished Service Award by the ADAQ, one of only 19 individuals in Queensland’s history to have been awarded this honour. Dr Webb has recently joined the ADA Inc Infection Control committee and has previously served on the ADA Inc Audit and Risk committee.
Dr Webb has conducted Lectures to the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, throughout Queensland on the fluoridation issue and more recently has been giving lectures to the ADAQ Practice Advantage group on health fund audits, item number issues, and dental fraud cases. He has assisted UQ as an external examiner for 5th Year dental student Vivas and has recently been involved in providing expert opinion reports for medico legal cases involving dentists.
Ms Larissa Alderton
BoralH, MHM - ADAQ Compliance, Advice and Policy - Senior Advisor
Larissa graduated with a Bachelor of Oral Health in Oral Health Therapy and Master of Health Management, with a focus on health care law and ethics and research. Larissa has worked in the dental profession since 2004 with experience in private practice, the University sector and the NHS in the United Kingdom. Larissa’s academic background and clinical experience puts her in an ideal position to assist ADAQ members with patient complaints, health fund audits, regulatory notification and insurance queries.
ADA Member Dentist - FREE
ADAQ Member Practice Staff - FREE
ADA Member 1st and 2nd Year Graduate - FREE
Non-Member Dentist - $55
Non-Member Practice Staff -$55
1.5 Scientific hours
By registering for this course, you agree to the events terms and conditions outlined on the ADAQ website.